We’ve previously explored how to search for a new career within a green industry. Once you’ve managed to hone your CV and apply for jobs, you’ll need to know how to be successful at interview. Here are some tips to make sure you come across as well in person as you do on paper:
- First of all, let your enthusiasm show. People who work in the green sector tend to be very passionate about what they do, and really want to make a difference. If your own enthusiasm comes across, employers will believe in your desire to take on their role.
- Research the company, and ask questions about it. Employers will be glad you’re genuinely interested in what they do.
- Think about standard interview questions, such as why you want the role and what you can bring to it, and devise answers to them. It’s a fine line though, and you don’t want to sound over-rehearsed. Have some thoughts and responses prepared, but don’t try to memorise every word.
- Show that you have knowledge about current green and environmental issues. Again, this will demonstrate to the employer that you care about the position on a deeper level, and that you really want to work in these industries.
- Finally, relax and be yourself. Employers will be looking for someone who can interact with other members of the team, form relationships and generally be a good personality fit for the company. Demonstrating to them that you’re naturally amicable and work well with others is the best way you can do this.